Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pain Management...AND IT WENT GREAT!!!

This morning, I finally went to my pain management appointment. I was skeptical going in since I have had completely different reactions from different doctors. Some who believed me and tried to help the best they could, and some who would just blow me off like I was some kind of junkie. We arrived early and were able to get in straight away. As soon as we were taken back by the nurse to get some information, a calm feeling came over me. She was amazing. She believed what I was telling her and even made the comment to me, "How have you even been making it day to day?". I was in awe! I hadn't expected this type of attitude from them. Once she recorded all my information and took all my reports to scan, she put me in the room to wait for the doctor.

We got into the room and I was thinking that we were going to be waiting forever. Yet again, something amazing happened...WE DIDN'T HAVE TO! We waited about 5 minutes and the P.A. knocked on the door. As soon as she walked into the room, the look on her face and the vibe she was putting off, I felt that calm feeling again. She immediately started asking questions and looking at all of my reports. We discussed my medicines and she agreed that she thought it was a good start. She also reassured me that the new medicine I had put on just the night before, was perfectly fine to take with all of the ones I had been on for a while. I felt so much better. Once we got over the question part, I broke down crying. I told her about all the troubles I have had with some doctors and my neurosurgeons office and that it just felt so good to have someone else on my side.

After the small meltdown, she started discussing treatment options. She asked about massage therapy but I explained to her that when I had done them in the past, it felt good while I was getting the massage but within about 30 minutes, all my muscles would completely lock up and migraines would hit. She agreed that we would just stay away from that. Her next option was Facet Joint Injections. I told her that I would try whatever she thought would be my best route. At this point, I have already had brain surgery, what's a few shots in the neck. I still have to wait a few weeks to get them but I am kind of excited but anxious at the same time. They offer sedation to where I won't be completely out but it will at least help my nerves. I don't mind needles, however, there is just something about getting 6 shots in an area of my body that is already in so much pain that makes me a little nervous.

Since we had decided on my first course of treatment, she gave me the refills I needed, scheduled my appointment for the injections, and I was out of there. I was in total shock that two appointments in one week had went so well. After years of bad appointments, I was so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment