Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Update with the Neurologist!

So I got some good news. What a change! Normally, every time I see a doctor, it's something new that needs to be dealt with. It was a great feeling walking out of that office with a few answers and new plan to try to get me feeling better.

I went to the neurologist yesterday. The results from my 48 hour EEG came back good. While I am still having seizures, they are NON-EPILEPTIC! Yes I still have to deal with wondering when the next one will hit and not being able to drive, but at least I know there isn't anything going on in my brain. The doctor seems to think that they are due to my pain and central nervous system being messed up plus the fact that I am still recovering from my decompression surgery. He seemed hopeful that once everything starts settling down, they will stop. I hope that he is right. That means that I no longer have to take the epilepsy medicine and got to get rid of two other medicines as well.

The other thing that got dealt with was a new plan for my pain. He said that the most important thing he wants to work on is my "pain and suffering". When that came out of his mouth, I was so thankful. Finally, someone trying to help and not just think I am some junkie. He adjusted the medicines I am already on a little and added a new one as well. I sure hope this works. He called them right in and said he wanted to see me in 4 weeks just to see how things were going. He also sent his notes over to my pain management doctor and asked me to have him do the same thing. Another happy moment. A doctor wanting to work with one of my other doctors to get me back to as close to normal as possible. I will be seeing the pain doctor tomorrow morning but I am not quite sure on how I feel that appointment will go.

When we left my appointment, we went straight to the pharmacy to get the new medicines. They told me that they were still working on the and check back in about 15 minutes. After wandering the store for a while, we went back to be told that the new medicine was declined by my insurance because it needed pre-approval. UGH! When I got home, I called and left a message with the nurse, who got back to me pretty quickly. She called and got Tricare to approve the medicine and called the pharmacy to let them know. My husband went back to the pharmacy on his way home from work. When he got there, they told him that they were out of stock but they would have them this afternoon. Another irritating moment. Now we were just in there a few hours before so why couldn't they tell us that then. I was a little frustrated for a while but once I remembered the fact that the appointment went well and that this was the biggest problem, I got over it.

The new ordeal is going to be adjusting to the new treatment plan and getting used to new medicine. I can deal with that. At least it is something. I just hope that the side effects don't end up being more than the benefits. If I can get to a place where I am not at an 8-10 daily on the pain scale, I will be on happy zipperhead!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment