Sunday, October 7, 2012

Seizures...what else is going to happen!?!

Today was not a good day. My family has been here for a couple days visiting. I woke up this morning not feeling well at all. We had plans to take my parents to do some sight seeing and had already made the comment to my husband asking if we would mind if I stayed home. While waiting for everyone to get up and moving, it hit. I told my husband, "I don't feel good.". The next thing I knew I was waking up on the couch and they said I had a seizure. I seemed to be okay other than being exhausted. I was fine for a little bit and it hit again. Over about a couple hours, I had a few more. Each time I was able to feel them coming on and tell someone and each time they got more violent. I felt okay so I walked to my bedroom and it hit again. I yelled for my husband and laid down on the bed. He told me to try to move up on the bed more so I didn't fall of but I felt as though I couldn't move. My whole body just felt so heavy and limp. I guess I went into another one and just remember waking up with what I thought was vomit in my mouth and being told that an ambulance was one the way. Luckily, my mother-in-law was able to take my 4 year old to the neighbor's house so he didn't have to see mommy that way and being taken away in an ambulance. That is what scared me the most. I didn't want him to have to go through that.

When the EMT's arrived, I was in another fit. I finally woke up and was alert and answered a few of there questions. In my mind, at least medical professionals were there to see it and confirm what was happening. They loaded me on the stretcher and got me to the ambulance. Everything seemed to have calmed down. They took my vitals and got an IV started. They said that we would be to the hospital in 8-10 minutes due to traffic. Even though I was with it, it was all kind of a blur. I remember just telling the EMT, "I am so sorry." The next thing I know, I was waking up with the sirens on and could feel the ambulance weaving in and out of traffic. I was there. My mother told me that I had went into another fit and the EMT told the driver to "go hot". My heart rate had went up to 200 bpm and my blood pressure dropped all at the same time. Thankfully for me, I don't remember anything from when this happens. I am very glad about that. I was fine for a little while. The ER doctor, who I had seen previously, came to talk to me and everything seemed fine. He said that I was having grand mal seizures from what my family and the EMT's described. I remember talking to him and then nothing. It hit again. He himself got to witness them and confirmed that that is what he believed they were. I had a total of 7 or 8 that day in few hour time period. They gave me an IV does of seizure meds and managed to take a little nap. They gave me a prescription to start taking. He told me that he wasn't completely sure but they could be happening from the brain surgery and still being in recovery. Once the medicine was done, they discharged me and I was never so happy to go home in my life. My whole body was so sore from tensing up and I was more exhausted that I have even been in my life.

There was a problem though. This had happened before. About a week before my surgery, I was in the ER for the same thing. They weren't as bad though. They prescribed the same seizure meds. I didn't get them filled because I was to see my neurologist the next day. They went ahead and hooked me up and did a 24 hour EEG with a camera as well to see what happened should I go into another one. He wasn't convinced that they were seizures and actually thought I was just passing out and said that they twitching and tensing up could happen during it. Nothing happened of course. He told me not to take the Keppra and to have my surgery and see what happened. Now I am left wondering, why is this happening? Why is all of this stuff happening all at once?

Since the last incident, I have been taking the meds as prescribed and haven't had anymore since. I am thankful for that. It kills me more that my family has to go through all of this and constantly worry about me. I have to follow up with my neurologist again. They said it could never happen again. They said that it could resolve on it's own and in time I might not have to take the medicine anymore. I can't drive, I have everyone constantly worrying about me being at home alone with my son while my husband is at work.



No comments:

Post a Comment